High income child benefit charge – HMRC errors

If you have individual income in excess of £50,000, you may have to pay the ‘high income child benefit charge’. This depends on whether or not you or your partner is in receipt of child benefit. If you’ve received correspondence from HMRC asking you to amend your tax return for an overpayment of child benefit, don’t be too hasty to … Read More

How to protect your state pension by claiming Child Benefit

Did you know that if you have stopped claiming Child Benefit for children under 12 and either don’t have earnings, or earn less than the NIC threshold, your state pension will be reduced? Parents earning in excess of £60,000 are no longer entitled to Child Benefit with it being reduced on a ‘sliding scale’ for those earning between £50,000 and … Read More