High income child benefit charge – HMRC errors

If you have individual income in excess of £50,000, you may have to pay the ‘high income child benefit charge’. This depends on whether or not you or your partner is in receipt of child benefit. If you’ve received correspondence from HMRC asking you to amend your tax return for an overpayment of child benefit, don’t be too hasty to … Read More

Act to retain your child benefit and child tax credits

For those still in receipt of child benefit and/or child tax credits, you may be at risk of losing these amounts unless you correctly notify HMRC of your child’s circumstances. Child benefit stops on the 31st August following a child’s 16th birthday unless they remain in education or training. The same applies to the child tax credit. However, the payments can only continue provided … Read More